Saturday, May 21, 2011

10 March 2011 “A Sunday Afternoon Drive in the Countryside” (e-broadcast)

All - A Sunday afternoon drive in the countryside has taken on a WHOLE new meaning for me. LOL!!!!  After a couple of hours outside of Ulaanbaatar the main road between UB and Choibalsan became a dirt road . . . which in itself was a bit wild since Choibalsan is the 4th largest city in Mongolia and the last major city between Mongolia and China . . . what was really wild was that on many, many occasions, the driver would veer off the dirt road and just start driving through the dirt fields (probably because it was smoother then the rutted and torn up road).

"Field surfing" has also taken on new meaning (inside joke for those familiar with surfing in South Dakota . . . . you know who you are  . . . smile).  Anyway, we traveled across the remaining 550 km+ through fields and along dirt roads at an average speed of 60mph.  It should come as no surprise that we had a flat tire and stopped to help two other drivers stranded along the road.  Things got particularly crazy after it got dark.
 
On Monday, I met Tsermaa, the director of the Association of Parents with Disabled Children (APDC) and Bavaasan, the interpreter I will be working with (a really kind and capable young woman).  The first order of business was to find an apartment.  I had a choice between three different apartments -- two were one-bedroom apartments with more amenities but across town and one was a studio close to work.  I chose the studio.  

All of the apartment buildings here look alike (they were built in in early 1900s as military housing for Russian soldiers and their families) so . . . it has been a bit difficult to find my way around town - and Choibalsan is not that large (50,000 +/-)  I have a small kitchen with a two-burner stovetop, a few dishes and one pan (LOL).

Oh yeah, the landlord brought a washing machine by yesterday that looks like it is ready to die any day now - LOL.  I don't have internet (yet) but should as early as next week . . . right now I am using a workstation at a local internet cafe . . . . which, BTW, I should sign off on for now because others are waiting to use the computer.

I will write again soon (I hope). . . . Love to all – Deb (aka Mom)


No comments:

Post a Comment