Saturday, May 21, 2011

21 May 2011 “Hello from Mongolia” (e-broadcast)

All - Last time I sent an e-mail broadcast I promised to tell you about the work I am doing in Mongolia.  So, go grab a cup of coffee (I'll wait) because (while important) my work isn't nearly as intriguing as the other things I seem to get involved with while I am here.

Did you get some coffee? Really, you need something with caffeine . . . . I will wait. I promise (smile).

Okay, here goes . . . .

I am a VSO-Mongolia volunteer assigned to the Association of Parents with Disabled Children (APDC) in Choibalsan, Dornod province.  I am here to help APDC with their fund-raising, strategic planning and volunteer development capacity-building.  (I warned you to get some coffee - smile). 

In all seriousness, it is a great organization and I am glad I am here (though secretly I would really like to be living in a Ger in the countryside herding horses . . . or something like that).  But, my management skills are what are needed. 

The APDC is a small non-government organization founded 10 years ago at a grassroots level by parents of children with disabilities.  As recently as 20 years ago, Mongolia did not have policies related to equal rights and services for those with disabilities.  Even today, disabilities are viewed as being the result of a sinful act.  In the countryside, children with disabilities are still hidden out of shame. 

Here, in Choibalsan, there are 10 districts (neighborhoods).  Only four of those districts have kindergartens that accept children with disabilities.  Only one elementary school is able to accept those with visual impairments or Cerebral Palsy and only two public buildings (in all of Choibalsan) have ramps (and they are not to code).  The list goes on and on.  But (a word used quite often here) things are much improved since the establishment of APDC.  Public awareness and attitudes have improved, the children are more socialized and have great access to health, education and social services and the parents have a support network. 
In 2008, VSO sponsored the creation of a Mentor Parents program.  Ten parents from Choibalsan went through a 16-day training program to learn how to teach other parents how to properly care for their children, advocate for their rights, etc. The program has been a tremendous success. 

But, like many grassroots organizations, APDC struggles because they do not have sustainable resources to maintain or expand their programs and services.  The coordinator is forced to works full time for another aservice organization (in addition to running APDC) because our organization cannot pay her.   That is where I come in. 

My job is to teach the coordinator, leadership volunteers and parents how to develop an annual work plan and budget that is sustainable and fundable (is fundable a word . . . hmmmm).  Based on what I have experienced and been told, the word "planning" must not translate into Mongolian.  Everything here happens at the last minute and on a whim.  As a result, the organization is always playing catch-up and never able to get ahead.

During late March and early April I conducted one-on-one interviews with more than 26 parents, mentors, board members and community leaders.  Over 1,400 comments were received (which was not an easy task considering everything had to be done through an interpreter).  During the interviews, I learned what stakeholders believe are the organization's strengths and weaknesses as well as what the focus should be for the immediate and long-term.  Additional comments were received at an All Members meeting held last week where I presented the results of the study. 

What was learned during this process is now being used to set priorities for the branch and will help inform the central office's five-year strategic plan. 

So, there you go.   At the risk of sounding a bit geeky, I am really excited about the possibilities.  I just have to curb my enthusiasm a bit because it is often one step forward and two back around here. . . . Communistic-style leadership is still the norm so the idea of having working committees and delegating is not an easy shift.  But, I am up for the challenge.

  
Now, since you patiently set through the description of what I am doing in Mongolia, I am going to treat you with a few pictures I took while at the Lunar celebration held on May 17th at the Wrestling Palace.  The Yellow Sect Lamas performed chants on stage before a few thousand people . . . which was wonderful.   What was a bit quirky was when contemporary singers would sign love songs, etc in between chants.  Ahhhh, life in Mongolia!!
Next time I will tell you about Pity the cat.   Love and blessings to all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debra, very nice, great work. Look forward to following your blog. Peace DAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog!! Keep us posted:) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete