Saturday, May 21, 2011

27 March 2011 “Grandmother Rock” (e-broadcast)

All- Last Wednesday, Bavaasan (the interpreter I am working with) and I traveled to UB for a few days.  I had to get my final rabies vaccination, visit the VSO office and the APDC central office; Bavaasan came in to visit with her family and to visit "Grandmother rock." . . . I got to tag along (which is not often the case for a foreigner because it is a very sacred place - Photos were not allowed). 

The grandmother is located about 200kms outside of UB . . . way, way off the beaten path.  We literally drove over hills and through fields with little to resemble a road for at least 2 hours.  The grandmother is about 7 feet tall and 5+ feet wide.  She is draped in a robe and sky blue shawls (they call them ribbons here).  When visiting her, you make an offering of food, cedar (yes, cedar), milk and other things . . . after you speak to her (make a prayer) into her left ear, you are encouraged to take some of the offerings home with you to share with family and loved ones.   If you are meeting the grandmother for the first time, you are supposed to introduce yourself, let her know if you will/will not be returning the next year; acknowledge her; and share with her your prayers.  (It reminded me of going to the tree at Sundance.)    After introducing myself, I thanked the Grandmother for being there for the people.   I told her about all her relatives that have helped the people on Turtle Island during purification ceremonies and how blessed we have been by the stone nation.  I prayed for my family and extended family (which, of course, includes all of you).  It was incredible. 

After visiting with the grandmother I walked the land.  There were other outcroppings of large stones of various shapes and sizes.  People who had walked about before had placed smaller stones on the larger ones (much like what can be seen in Nepal and Tibet).  There was one really large pile of stones (eight feet or so) with prayer flags and blue ribbons draped all over it.  I found myself walking around the pile much in the same way I would walk and prayer when fasting.  As you can imagine, I started crying.  Crying because I am so blessed . ... crying because I felt as though I should go on the hill this year (trying to figure out how I can do that here) . . .  and crying because I miss everyone (even though I am happy here and know this is where I am supposed to be).   As I was walking and prayed two crow-like birds flew straight towards me from the east.  One stopped just shy of reaching me and the other one flew just beyond me and rested on a rock in the west.  Right after that, seven birds took flight.  On the way home I saw my first eagle since I've arrived.  Once again, I am reminded that even though I am literally 12-hours away I am right there with everyone at home. 

Tomorrow I leave for Choibalsan.  Let’s see if I will be three for three when it comes to having a flat tire on the Steppes of Mongolia.  Love to all!

Blessings - Deb (aka Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment