Saturday, May 21, 2011

5 March 2011 “Not to Worry” (e-broadcast)

All - Tomorrow I begin my travels to Choibalsan in the Dornod province of Mongolia.  I will leave the comfort of the Lotus Guesthouse in Ulaanbaatar, my home away from home for the last three weeks.  Amar, a VSO program director and a "local" from Choibalsan will pick me up around 9am tomorrow morning (10 hours from now).  I am told that, when possible, it is always better to hitch a ride with a private driver (someone from the countryside who happens to be in UB on business and is heading home) as opposed to using the public bus or a Russian shuttle.  Buses are typically over-crowded and the shuttles are very unreliable.  The distance between UB and Choibalsan is around 650 kilometers - the first half of the drive is paved, however, the second half is not.  The drive (depending on weather, conditions of roads and condition of the transport) can take anywhere from 10 top 20 hours.  Yes, I wrote 10-20 hours - LOL.  Part of the charm I suppose.
Once I arrive in Choibalsan, I will meet with the director of the Association of Parents with Disabled Children (APDC), visit the office and checkout where I will be living for the next 12-months.  It is likely that I will not have Internet for a week or more so will not be in touch with anyone for a while. (hence the reason for the subject: Not to Worry). 
For now, I need to get to bed.  BTW, it got above freezing today . . . a true sign of spring to come! 
Love to all - Deb (Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment