Saturday, May 21, 2011

15 February 2011 “Arrived Safe and Sound” (e-broadcast)



All - Arrived in UB around 4:30pm yesterday after a long flight between Ottawa, Toronto, Seoul and Ulaanbaatar (UB) the capital of Mongolia – spent a total of 20 hours in the air and 17 in airports. The good news is the Seoul airport (where I spent more than 12 hours) was quite nice. I was able to sleep in an area designated for rest, had a massage AND a shower – not bad eh? Still, it was quite long.



A VSO staffer and volunteer greeted me at the airport in Ulaanbaatar, took me to the VSO office and then took me to the Lotus Guesthouse (hostel) where I will be staying with seven other “newbies.” (What is particularly nice about this particular hostel is that it supports an orphanage for street kids.) Once a month VSO volunteers from across the country come together in UB for a meeting. Yesterday was that day so I was able to meet a number of the other folks. I believe there are around 25+/- volunteers in total with maybe 2-3 in Choibalsan (where I will be posted).


For now, we will remain in UB for "in-country" training
(which begins on the 14th and ends on the 24th). After that I am off to Choibalsan (12 hours away by vehicle; two by plane). BTW, the time difference between UB and EST is 11 hours. For example, if is 9pm here in UB it is 9am in Connecticut. I think that will change once I go further out into the country side.

Love to all – Deb (aka Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment