Saturday, May 21, 2011

30 April 2011 “Sighting in Connecticut” (e-broadcast)

All - Yes, it is true; I was sighted in Connecticut a week ago.

Doris Sharkey (aka Mootie), my former mother-in-law and dear, dear friend passed away April 14th.  It is difficult to put into words how much Mootie meant to me.  We became very close over the twenty four years we knew each other.  During that time she was a loving mother, mentor, and friend. 

During the last several weeks of life, Mootie was in a lot of pain - which just broke my heart - so, I would go to the Buddhist temple here in Choibalsan to pray for her.  I would usually go during lunch - 1pm my time; 1am Moot's time.  While at the temple I would imagine that she could hear my prayers.  I would talk to her as she slept - reminding her of all the good times . . . everything I could remember hearing about over the years  . . .  like how she and Jake, (her husband) would meet for lunch every day in New York.  I had never met Jake; however, the family stories were always so vivid I felt I knew him well.  I reflected on all the times at the shore and how she learned to kayak at the young age of 84 years (she did better than some of the young ones).

When Mootie passed, I was grateful because she was no longer in pain. I was also grateful because CUSO-VSO allowed me to go home for the funeral.  What a blessing.  It took 2 1/2 days to get there (one day to get to Ulaanbaatar and 1 1/2 to get to New York).  I got through customs fairly quickly, rented a car and met a friend off the highway in the Bronx to pick-up a temporary phone (thank you Lisa!). Timing was everything.  I was able to make it to Centerville, CT in time to go to the wake.  Again, what a blessing.  It was so nice to see family and friends at the wake and funeral.  The next couple of days were filled with visiting children, grandchildren and family (even a few friends).

I left NY midday on Friday and arrived back in Choibalsan at 4am on Tuesday morning.  The return trip was challenging at best.  I had a full pat down in New York and lost my phone at the Seoul airport which was a heartbreaker ‘cause it had all my photos, contact information and music (BTW, if anyone has an I-phone 3G they would be willing to sell I know a ready buyer - smile).  The craziest thing was the ride between Ulaanbaatar to Choibalsan; it took over 20 hours.  The microbus got seriously stuck in mud in the middle of the steppes.  It took more than five hours, and another bus, to get unstuck.

When we finally arrived in Choibalsan I didn't have a phone so could not call anyone for a ride.  As a result, I had to walk to my apartment.  Let me tell you, it is dark, dark, dark at that time of night/morning. There are no street lights . . . nothing.  As I was walking to my apartment I heard my name being spoken.  Badamgarav, a 70+ year old woman came out to meet me (I think Mootie sent her - smile).  Together we walked back to where we lived.  She insisted on carrying my backpack (quite a lady).
Anyway, after a night or two of good sleep I feel I am out of the fog and back in the groove of things.  Next time I write I promise to give an update on what I am actually doing here (LOL).  Meanwhile, please send prayers to Mootie's family.  And thank you for letting me share.

Love to all - Deb (aka Mom)

No comments:

Post a Comment